This article is one in a series of session reports from the recent BYU Conference on Family History and Genealogy. I tweeted the session live, but I hate to send you to Twitter to read them because they appear there in reverse chronological order. I’ve straightened them out for you here. Additions are shown in italics.
Thursday, 30 July 2009
|Jim Greene, Product manager, FamilySearch Wiki "What Is It and How can I Help?" (10:01 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )|
|What is a wiki? http://en.wikipedia.org/wik... Name comes from Hawaiian for "fast." (10:07 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )|
|Why a wiki? |
- Make content easy to find,
- shorten publishing cycle,
- increase the number of authors,
- boost novice-expert communication (10:10 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )
|Hopefully within the next couple of months, NFS [New FamilySearch] will come to all of Utah. (10:16 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )|
|Consolidated FamilySearch - Jim's term for the new www.familysearch.org coming that combines the pieces: |
- Record Search,
- wiki (10:19 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )
|- We are about ready to beta test one login for all the different pieces. |
- Also consolidate Indexing,
- Find a FHC [family history center]. (10:20 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )
- 8th most-popular Website,
- written by community,
- 2,000 entries per day,
- errors corrected in 5 mins,
- 11 edits per article, (10:22 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )
|- 7.2 M articles, |
- 7 M editors.
Did a test on Wikipedia article for FamilySearch. Put in spam. 5 min it was deleted. 11 min arbitrated. (10:23 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )
|What is in the Wiki? Research Outlines were migrated. Links added. (10:25 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )|
|The goal of the Wiki is not to hold all the knowledge, but point to any knowledge already on the web. (10:26 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )|
|Significant content on: |
- Utah Vital Records.
- Also FH for beginners,
- Scotland counties,
- name variations. (10:30 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )
|Simple improvements you can make: |
- grammar and spelling,
- add headings,
- add info,
- submit a picture of a place,
- add links, (10:32 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )
|What have we learned? Content pages have grown from 3,000 in Jan 08 to over 15,000 today. Unique visitors: 252,286 in 2008, 342,000 already this year (10:34 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )|
|Social structure: |
- Any user can edit anything - not being abused.
- Edit wars happen.
- Any user can undo changes.
- Anyone can watch page. (10:42 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )
- flag w/out editing,
- talk pages,
- 3-reverts goes to arbitration,
- only admins can permanently delete. (10:44 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )
|Roles: admins, mediators, and arbitrators. (10:45 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )|
|“Perfect comes too late.” |
“We are smarter than me.” (10:48 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )
|What shouldn't I contribute? |
- How to use FamilySearch products,
- data on specific people. (10:48 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )
Now taking questions. (10:51 AM Jul 30th from TweetChat )
Remember that tweets are limited to 140 characters. Less the #byugen hashtag, each tweet could not exceed 132 characters. Hence, tweets often use abbreviations, bad grammar, and lack proper punctuation.