One complaint I hear made about FamilySearch Family Tree is that there is no manual. It turns out, there is a manual. But the contents are secret so FamilySearch keeps it hidden. Just kidding. The part about it being secret is not true. The part about keeping it hidden, well that is more true than you might think.
The secret to finding the FamilySearch Family Tree manual is to stop looking for it among manuals. Instead, look among videos.
- Click Get Help in the upper-right corner of the page. (Illustration below.)
- In the drop-down menu, click Product Support. (Illustration above.)
- Scroll down to the blue rectangle labeled Family Tree. (Illustration below.)
- Click More Training Videos. (Yes. “More Training Videos.”) (Illustration above.)
- Log in the FamilySearch.org, if not already. There is different training and manuals for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and non-members. FamilySearch needs you to log in to determine which set to present to you.
- Click the Guides and Manuals shortcut, or scroll down to that section of the page. (Illustration to the right.)
- View or download either the Family Tree Quick Start Guide or the Family Tree Reference Manual. (Illustration to the right.)
Pretty straight forward; not.
One last caveat. Family Tree changes so fast, the manual is always out of date.
Maybe that’s why FamilySearch hides it so intently.