After last week’s article about FindMyPast, I thought I’d get a list of databases from Ancestry.com that are not supported in the LDS subscription. It turns out that is not so easy. I asked Ancestry.com for a list and was told “all of the messaging actually comes from FamilySearch.” The spokesperson referred me to a marketing manager at FamilySearch who told me that Ancestry.con has not provided a list.
Both individuals quoted to me the official corporate-speak:
FamilySearch’s agreement with Ancestry.com gives LDS church members access to all of Ancestry.com’s content collections around the world, with a few limited exceptions where contractual limitations prevent free access. For these few collections, an option to view these records on a pay-per-view basis is available. Ancestry.com has over 32,000 collections available to search and explore. Currently over 99% of these collections are available for free via an LDS member subscription. The Ancestry.com LDS member subscription excludes Fold3 and newspapers.com which may be added in the future.
If LDS members have any issues with their subscriptions or access to content collections, please contact Ancestry.com directly at 1-800-ANCESTRY (1-800-262-3787).
From the BYU conference I learned that supposedly there are 21 databases that are not included. Someone working in the computer lab told me that the United States Obituary Collection was among them. Saturday night, 2 August, I verified the limitation and captured this image from my browser:
I also heard that there are Manchester databases, so I poked around and found these databases are not included:
- Manchester, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1930
- Manchester, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1915
- Manchester, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1541-1812
- Manchester, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1985
- Manchester, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1930 (Cathedral)
- Manchester, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1901 (Cathedral)
- Manchester, England, Non-Conformist Births and Baptisms, 1758-1912
- Manchester, England, Non-Conformist Marriages, 1758-1937
- Manchester, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1573-1812 (Cathedral)
- Manchester, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1866 (Cathedral)
I randomly came across another database that was—bizarrely—not included:
- Treasures of Pioneer History – This is a book about Mormon pioneers and is published by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers.
As I wrote this article last Saturday, I tried this book again and it was then included! I tried the U.S. obituary collection again and it too is now included. (More on U.S. Obits tomorrow…) Maybe that is why there is no list. Maybe Ancestry.com is still reviewing contracts to determine which databases can be offered up in this fashion.
What about you? Have you come across databases not included in the LDS Subscription? Let me know.