Last week Ancestry.com made two big announcements. The size of their DNA database has exceeded 1 million samples. And they have launched a new website called AncestryHealth.
“We just hit a huge milestone, and we are excited to celebrate!” said Ancestry spokesperson, Anna Swayne. “In just three short years AncestryDNA has genetically tested one million people to help them discover more about themselves and their family story.” The database size has more than doubled in the last year.
As the size of their database grows, they are starting to be able to make some interesting observations. In a group of 5,000 people you will likely find a close relative. (I think that means 4th cousin or closer.) Using that fact, Ancestry has put together an interesting infographic.
- On any given day, 39 of your relatives will pass through the Los Angeles LAX airport.
- Sixteen of your relatives will be in the stadium of a sold out home game of the Dallas Cowboys.
- Ten of your relatives visit Disney World each day.
- Six of your relatives finished the Boston Marathon. (I know one of my six.)
- Two of your relatives visited the Statue of Liberty today.
Wait for my Friday article for a particularly touching AncestryDNA story.