Just in time for the Labor Day weekend, Ancestry.com is offering its entire U.S. census collection for free through September 3rd. The 25 collections, consisting of 713 million records, are:
- 1790-1940 United States Federal Census collections
- 1850 U.S. Federal Census – Slave Schedules
- 1860 U.S. Federal Census – Slave Schedules
- 1890 Veterans Schedules
- Non-Population Schedules 1850-1880
- U.S. Enumeration District Maps and Descriptions, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census – 1880 Schedules of Defective, Dependent, and Delinquent Classes
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules, 1850-1885
- U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918
- U.S., Indian Census Rolls, 1885-1940
Additionally, Ancestry has created a time-machine of sorts. Answer a few multiple choice questions and Ancestry will create a personalized video of the life you would have led 72 years ago. Access the Ancestry.com 1940 Time Machine on their website.
Finally, Ancestry has provided a handy chart indicating what information was collected in each census year. Click on the thumbnail below for a full-sized image.