For owners of Family Tree Maker (FTM) 2012, 2013 is proving to be a very lucky year. Ancestry.com recently announced that they will not be releasing an FTM 2013. This means owners of FTM 2012 will have another year during which they can receive free updates.
“We have decided to make several key updates to the existing software, and give those updates away for free,” said Ancestry spokesperson, Matthew Deighton. “We will be working hard this year to improve the current product and you will see these bonus features throughout the year.”
According to Ancestry, numerous new features have already been added to FTM 2012:
- Numerous enhancements to TreeSync so syncing your tree to Ancestry.com is faster and more reliable
- A new Family View Report that displays a person’s ancestors, spouse, and children together (similar to the Family View in the People workspace)
- A new Undocumented Facts Report that lists people’s facts that have no source documentation
- The ability to merge info from multiple versions of the same fact
- New source templates for the 1940 U.S. census and improved support for city directories
- Dozens of report enhancements including performance improvements and new options in the relationship chart, family group sheet, Individual Report, Notes Report, Data Errors Report, Outline Descendant Report, Media Item Report, photo albums, Media Usage Report, Documented Facts Report, and calendar
Owners of previous versions can qualify for the free updates by first upgrading to FTM 2012.